Sunday, June 25, 2006

Road Pavement

My friend, Jim Lippert shared a story with me on Saturday after Bible study with my German-Lutheran brothers. "A man in his 60’s was preparing for his upcoming retirement. He was making sure his 401K was in the proper place, his IRA’s were in order, earning to their maximum capacity. He was getting ready to enjoy his retirement. BUT God had other plans. The Lord called him home to heaven before he could retire. The man said to Saint Peter, “Since I couldn’t enjoy my retirement, could I take a memento with me to heaven? Saint Peter said he could, and the man brought a bar of gold with him to heaven.

Upon his arrival in heaven, someone said to him “Why did you bring road pavement with you?”
…Huh? Road pavement? Yes, in heaven the streets will be paved with gold (Revelations 21:21).

What man values so highly, God uses as road pavement! What a God! What a Savior! What a Lord!

Luke 16:14-15. The Pharisees, who loved money heard all this (previous 13 verses of Luke 16) and were sneering at Jesus. He said to them, “You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of men, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valued among men is detestable in God’s sight.”

What is in your life that you value more than your relationship with Jesus?

March on church, march on.

No comments: