Thursday, June 07, 2007

Using words we seldom think about

I use words every day, some with little thought of what they really mean. In scripture; we are urged to trust God. What does trust mean? The short dictionary meaning is… “A firm belief in the honesty, truthfulness, justice or power of a person or thing; confidence, credence, confident expectation and hope.”

Trusting God or anyone else involves knowing them well enough to trust them. I have insurance with Teresa; I trust her because I know her. I do not have to read all the fine print. Why? Because I know her. Jeremiah 9:23-24 says: This is what the Lord says: "Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the Lord.”

How about YOU and the Lord? How well do you know Him? Well enough to trust Him for all things? Or have you just heard of Him and honestly do not know Him? Job 42:1-6 in the Message says: Job answered God: "I'm convinced: You can do anything and everything. Nothing and no one can upset your plans. You asked, 'Who is this muddying the water, ignorantly confusing the issue, second-guessing my purposes?' I admit it. I was the one. I babbled on about things far beyond me, made small talk about wonders way over my head. You told me, 'Listen, and let me do the talking. Let me ask the questions. You give the answers.' I admit I once lived by rumors of you; now I have it all firsthand - from my own eyes and ears! (NIV states: “I heard of you but now I know you.”) I'm sorry - forgive me. I'll never do that again, I promise! I'll never again live on crusts of hearsay, crumbs of rumor."

Jesus desires a relationship with us. He gave His life so we could have that relationship. Trusting God involves knowing Him. How do we know Him? Read His word, develop a prayer life, and continue to meet with His children and worship Him.

The truth is, we will never FULLY know Him because how can the finite know the infinite Jesus came to be our mediator, Lord and Savior. Our relationship with Jesus and the resulting walk through life are out of this world! Come Lord Jesus, come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jerry,

You are the sweetest! I enjoyed this post very much. Just know I follow this blog each week and look forward to reflecting on your messages. You truly are doing God's work in today's electronic world.

Teresa Holwerda

Anonymous said...

Teresa
I mean't what I said. and I thank you. Jerry