Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Pampered Love or Perfecting Love

(Note: This blog was posted in error the end of January along with the intended blog for that day so it appeared to be a previous entry. We had planned to publish this one the first week in Feb. when we were on vacation. If you did happen to read both blogs that were listed on that day, forgive me for running it again. ~ Judi)

Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so…

What kind of love do you expect from Jesus, a pampering love? We like to be pampered don’t we? I mean He promised us a more abundant life, right? Should I not expect the best? Pamper me, Lord. I find it interesting that we like to be pampered yet Jesus had no home, or as He said it, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head." Matt 8:20.

We live in a time of increased expectations. We want it all, if not all, at least a little more than enough. But, I believe Jesus love is not a pampering type of love but a perfecting love.
(Hebrew 12:2-12: “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son." Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees.”

Job was tested. He got frustrated with all of it and in a sense, lipped off to God. God is patient but finally He had enough of it and tells Job in Job 38:1-3 Then the LORD answered Job from the whirlwind: "Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorant words? Brace yourself, because I have some questions for you, and you must answer them.” Brace yourself like a man…”We need to talk.” Sixty-six questions later, Job speaks in Job 42. Job said in verse 3b: “Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know.”

Job repents. Yes, he sees God and his life in a different light, from God’s perspective. He repents and gets right with the Lord; a perfecting love.

If you’re facing trials, don’t get angry and become embittered because you were expecting to be pampered. God has sent trials and tribulation to perfect us. He does this because He loves us and we are His. It hurts, but in the end He will take us Home to glory. (Read Ps. 73:23-24).

Lord, thank you that you have called me; I am yours. Correct me Lord but only with justice not in your anger lest you reduce me to nothing. (Jeremiah 10:24): Perfect me, Lord. Amen.

No comments: