Thursday, April 03, 2008

God’s Favor

Favor is defined as an act of kindness; liking and approval; exceptional kindness; to give more than fair treatment.

Have you ever been a favorite? A favorite of your parents? Favorite of your teacher? None of us would admit to being a teacher’s pet but if I was a teacher’s pet, it would have been with Miss Novak. She was my first and second grade teacher; she was nice and really pretty. She was going to marry “this guy”. (I thought she should have waited for me but she didn’t.). She grew up in Olivia and her wedding was in St. Aloysius Catholic Church. I talked my aunt Lillian into taking me to the wedding. I remember I bought her a set of salt and pepper shakers for 59 cents; I handed them to her in the receiving line and she bent down and kissed me. I was on the top of the world but I still didn’t like the guy she was marrying!

If we are honest, we like to be favored. Look at the definition of the word: act of kindness, exceptional kindness, to give more than fair treatment. Who wouldn’t want that?

The prophet Daniel, writing in Daniel 9:13 (NIV) says: “Just as it is written in the Law of Moses, all this disaster has come upon us, yet we have not sought the favor of the Lord our God by turning from our sins and giving attention to your truth.” Even in disaster, the nation of Israel did not seek the favor of the Lord. Would we do the same? I think so. We as a nation are so self-centered that in the midst of disaster we would not seek the Lord’s favor. What makes us think we would be any different from the children of Israel?

How do we seek the favor of the Lord? By turning from sin and giving attention to your (God’s) truth”. Yes, it’s that simple. Daniel says “turn from sin”—quit it; quit it. We are not just to confess it but quit it. We are also to give attention to God’s truth. Where do we find the truth? In God’s Word! We need to give attention to God’s word; don’t just look at it, don’t browse it, don’t just talk about it…give attention to it, read it, live it, make it part of our lives. The truth shall set us free. And guess what? We will be in God’s favor; God’s favor—to receive more than fair treatment. We receive exceptional kindness. God has not treated us as we deserve. No, He has shown us exceptional kindness through the shed blood of His one and only Son, Jesus Christ.

If you are a believer in Jesus Christ, today is the day of God’s favor.

No comments: