Thursday, February 12, 2009

Experiencing glee at the sin of another appointee

It was early this morning when I heard that President Obama’s cabinet appointee for the Department of Labor has tax problems. How many of President Obama’s appointees have had tax problems, four or five? As I heard, this I chuckled to myself. These liberals are getting what they deserve. When you have no God, then all things are permissible. Yes, another one bites the dust (The rock group Queen had a song entitled “Another One Bites the Dust.”) and inwardly I enjoyed it. I experienced a moment of private glee; bad for them, good for me. At least I haven’t been caught or is it because I have a better accountant? I enjoy seeing other people squirm, especially if it is people I do not like. Oh, really? Is that how I should feel?

My “glee” was short lived. What kind of sick glee is this that I would have a private moment of hubris over the failings or sin of another person? How sad am I, joyful over the sin of another?

The prophet Nathan confronted King David about his sin with Bathsheba in II Samuel 12. As I see it, Nathan’s mission was to call David to account not view his failure with glee or derision. Nathan’s mission was to get David to mourn for his sin, to be accountable. David’s mourning would not appease a Holy God but all sin is to be mourned. David’s, President Obama’s appointees, and yes, even mine.

What right do I have to experience private glee at the expense of the sin of another? God help me! To a pure and Holy God, all sin is reprehensible. So left to myself, I am reprehensible to a Holy God! Without Christ, I could not stand in the presence of God; I should mourn, face down in the dirt, a sinner no better than anybody else!

Oh, but my Savior comes by my side, extends His nail pierced hand to mine and says “stand up”. I stand in the presence of a Holy God only because of what Christ has done for me. Jesus paid for all my sin once and for all at the cross. Amen.

How sad can I be—judging others, relishing with glee their misfortune, even if my relishing is in private!

How happy I am! I am forgiven of my sin not through any merit of my own. I live in grace, an undeserved gift from my Savior. When I am found on my face in the dust, may it be in worship not disgrace. May I mourn not only for my sin but for the sin of my nation. May we strive for holiness.

Lord save us from ourselves. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I show you a more excellent way...

Love... does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 1 Corinthians 13:6

Don't you just love God's Word?