Saturday, January 08, 2011

Who will tell us the truth in these days?

A doctor in England admitted this week that he fabricated the results of a study linking autism to childhood vaccinations. The original study was published in The British Medical Journal. If we cannot trust them, who can we trust?

This week the new Congress came to power. The power in the House of Representatives has swung from the Democrats to the Republicans. Much has been talked about; a vision staked out, promises made but—I don’t believe any of it.

Yes, I’ve become a cynical doubting old man. Who will tell us the truth and how will we know what is the truth in these days? I mean, do you really believe the unemployment rate is 9.4%? I don’t. Do you really believe inflation is “rising slightly” as I heard on the news today? I don’t. Just look at your grocery cart and you’ll realize someone is lying to us.

In John 8:42-47, Jesus was talking to the Jews, who claimed they were children of Abraham. It says: 42 Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. 43 Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! 46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don't you believe me? 47 He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God."

These verses teach us some important things appropriate for days such as these.

  1. If God is our Father, we must love Jesus (verse 42)
  2. Verse 44 is loaded.
a.  The devil is the father of lies. NOTE: The battle of the ages is good versus evil. Jesus versus the devil. It is being played out daily in battles of what is truth and what are lies.
b. There is no truth in the devil and there is no truth in his children. When considering something, consider the source. Whose child is this person? A child of God or a child of the devil.

3. Regarding Verse 47 – As believers, when we listen, we must listen to what God says.
a. Read His Word. Listen to His Word. Ask God to open your ears. Ask God to give you a discerning heart. Believers will hear what God says.

b. 1 Kings 3:7-14: "Now, O LORD my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David. But I am only a little child1 and do not know how to carry out my duties. 8 Your servant is here among the people you have chosen, a great people, too numerous to count or number. 9 So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?" 10 The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for this. 11 So God said to him, "Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice, 12 I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be. 13 Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for--both riches and honor--so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings. 14 And if you walk in my ways and obey my statutes and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life."
c. This should be our prayer.

God has and will always tell us the truth. Are we willing to humble ourselves and believe him? Trust Him in these days. In John 8:32 Jesus says, “Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Yes, He has set us free from being slaves to sin. We have experienced the ultimate freedom. Listen to Him in these days. Remember, He promised He would never leave us or forsake us. God has kept all His promises and He always will. Good, good news…in these last days. Lies may abound but Jesus is the Truth and the Light. Listen to Him alone.

No comments: