Friday, August 26, 2011

The Privileges of being a Servant of God – Scripture Speaks

The following is with the help of one Thomas Watson, a Puritan preacher from the 1600’s who made grace so attractive.
A man as a servant of God:
  • Ezra 5:11 - This is the answer they gave us: "We are the servants of the God of heaven and earth, and we are rebuilding the temple that was built many years ago, one that a great king of Israel built and finished.
  • Colossians 4:12 - Epaphras, who is one of you and a servant of Christ Jesus, sends greetings. He is always wrestling in prayer for you, that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured.
  • Psalm 116:16 - O LORD, truly I am your servant; I am your servant, the son of your maidservant; you have freed me from my chains.
The privileges of being God’s servant:
1. Freedom:
    • Psalm 116:16 - O LORD, truly I am your servant; I am your servant, the son of your maidservant; you have freed me from my chains.
    • Psalm 51:12 -- Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
2. Honor:
  • Psalm 143:11-12 -- For your name's sake, O LORD, preserve my life; in your righteousness, bring me out of trouble. In your unfailing love, silence my enemies; destroy all my foes, for I am your servant.
  • Isaiah 53:11 -- After the suffering of his soul, he will see the light [of life] and be satisfied; by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many, and he will bear their iniquities.
  • Psalm 18:35 -- You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me; you stoop down to make me great.
Jesus is not ashamed to be called a servant.
3. Safety:
  • Isaiah 41:9-10 -- I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. I said, 'You are my servant'; I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
  • Psalm 27:5-6 -- For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock. Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the LORD.
  • Acts 18:9-10 -- One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision: "Do not be afraid; keep on speaking, do not be silent. For I am with you, and no one is going to attack and harm you, because I have many people in this city."
4. Gain:
  • John 12:26 -- Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.
  • Hebrews 12:28-29 -- Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our "God is a consuming fire."
5. Assistance:
  • Psalm 138:3 -- When I called, you answered me; you made me bold and stouthearted.
  • Ezekiel 36:26-27 -- I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.
6. He is our supply:
  • Psalm 37:3-4 -- Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.
  • Genesis 48:15-16 -- Then he blessed Joseph and said, "May the God before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac walked, the God who has been my shepherd all my life to this day, the Angel who has delivered me from all harm --may he bless these boys. May they be called by my name and the names of my fathers Abraham and Isaac, and may they increase greatly upon the earth."
In these days, remember who God is, and the grace and goodness He bestows on us to be His servant son and servant daughter. May we dwell forever in His house.

Hang this on the wall, read it when discouraged.

No comments: