Tuesday, October 08, 2013


We are not called to be comfortable

2 Corinthians 1:6 – “If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer.”

Inga and her husband grew up in South America.  I do not know her life story except that she is the mother of four children.  This story was related to me as I was not at the church meeting where a discussion was held regarding increasing a certain area of the building because people felt the space was small and made people feel “uncomfortable.”  It was then that Inga stood up and said, “We are not called to be comfortable.”

When I heard the story, Inga’s words cut to the heart.  We are (as Christians) not called to be comfortable.  God comforts; we should feel safe and secure, but not necessarily comfortable. 

            James 1:2-4 says:  Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

                 John 10:27-18 – My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.”

Matthew 11:28 -- "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”

Philippians 4:6 – Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”

I think the bottom line for our desire for comfortability is self-centeredness and complacency.  Comfortability coupled with complacency and self-centeredness is a recipe for a church not on the march but a church that becomes stagnant.  Stagnant water stinks; so do stagnant and comfortable people and churches. 

 

Recommended reading:  “Crazy Love” by Francis Chan.

 

 

No comments: