Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Early Morning on the Prairie

The prairie is usually windy but at sunrise this morning it’s dead still. It’s spring time in agricultural country. Sometimes in the early morning the prairie tranquility is broken by the drone of the yellow bi-plane crop duster working on the Voelz brothers’ farm; he has come this morning. He swoops low at break-neck speed, rising above the lake bottom trees, seeming to miss them only by a few feet. The bright yellow plane sparkles in the morning sun; a bright contrast to the dark green fields and beautiful blue sky.

The spray hangs over the field as a man made mist. It doesn’t hang long but settles on the sugar beet field to do its work so I can have sugar in my coffee. (Why did I say that, I hardly drink coffee much less with sugar?) It’s for you to have sugar in your coffee, for latte schmatty, whatever.

After the plane leaves the area, the quietness returns. Geese honk at the pond; meadow larks share their beautiful call, red wing blackbirds proudly whistle their distinctive song; blue jays jostle and play at the bird feeders; pheasants call back and forth to one another; a deer comes out from Judit’s grove to drink at our pond. Morning Doves coo, sounding far away yet I see them in the black walnut tree on the east side of the garden.

As I sit here, Judi has a vase of flowers on the table with lilacs, Columbine, and fern peony blossoms; they are more beautiful than anything man could create. I realize I am blessed. May I never forget it; may I never take it for granted.

Isaiah 42:5-9 - This is what God the Lord says-- he who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and all that comes out of it, who gives breath to its people, and life to those who walk on it: "I, the Lord, have called you in righteousness; I will take hold of your hand. I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people and a light for the Gentiles, to open eyes that are blind, to free captives from prison and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness. "I am the Lord; that is my name! I will not give my glory to another or my praise to idols. See, the former things have taken place, and new things I declare; before they spring into being I announce them to you."

The Lord is good. Amen