"Knowledge of God is the goal of theology.
"Knowledge without devotion is cold, dead orthodoxy. Devotion without knowledge is irrational instability. But true knowledge of God includes understanding everything from His perspective. Theology is learning to think God's thoughts after His. It is to learn what God loves and hates, and to see, hear, think, and act the way He does. Knowing how God thinks is the first step in becoming godly."
(Taken from "Biblical Doctrine: An Overview" in the ESV Study Bible)
What is "dead orthodoxy"?
- Correct doctrine without being born again.
- Correct doctrine without practical outworking or living a godly life
- Correct doctrine without zeal; lack of zeal for the Word or souls. Zeal is ardent, active interest.
- Lack of emotional experience in worship (not manufactured)
- Formalism = rigidness in worship