Saturday, January 26, 2013

Seehusen Family Bible Study


This is the first in a series of the Seehusen Family Bible Study.  Humbly I ask God to bless our efforts.  May God bless us.
1.     God is incomprehensible. Scripture teaches that we can know God personally but we cannot completely understand Him.

Acts 17:24-27 - "The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands.25 And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else.26 From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live.27 God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us.”  Every beat of our heart is a gift from God. 

Great is the Lord - Psalm 145:3-4 -- Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom. One generation will commend your works to another; they will tell of your mighty acts.  Note:  This is why we, as men, must do this study and share it with others. 

Quiet and Loud - Job 26:12-14 -- By his power he churned up the sea; by his wisdom he cut Rahab to pieces. By his breath the skies became fair; his hand pierced the gliding serpent. And these are but the outer fringe of his works; how faint the whisper we hear of him! Who then can understand the thunder of his power?" 

Isaiah 55:8-9 -- "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.  "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. 

Romans 11:33-34 -- Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!34 "Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?"

Heard of God but do not know or see Him: Job 42:1-6 -- Then Job replied to the LORD: 2 "I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted.3 [You asked,] 'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?' Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know.4 ["You said,] 'Listen now, and I will speak; I will question you, and you shall answer me.'5 My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you.6 Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes." 

Deuteronomy 29:29--- The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.
 
2.     Incomprehensibility without knowability can lead to 1) despair or 2) apathy. But God is knowable. 

2 Peter 1:2-8 -- Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. 3 His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge;6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness;7 and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
 

My life-changing verse: Jeremiah 10:23-24 -- I know, O LORD, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps.24 Correct me, LORD, but only with justice-- not in your anger, lest you reduce me to nothing. 

Jeremiah 9:23-24 -- This is what the LORD says: "Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches,24 but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the LORD.  

"Power of God" -- 1 Corinthians 2:1-5 -- When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God.2 For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.3 I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling.4 My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power,5 so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.

John 17:1-3 -- After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: "Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you.2For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him.3Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.


Philippians 3:10-11 -- I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,11 and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.  

1 John 4:7-8 -- Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 

John 20:30-31 -- Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book.31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name. 

Acts 17:24-27 -- "The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else.26 From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us.

 

No comments: