Thursday, March 15, 2007

Just do your job

Early every morning my partner or I walk through all the properties we manage. We feel it’s important to have “eyes on the ground” as it were.

About three weeks ago, I was in the passenger elevator when I noticed the floor indicator lights were not working. The replacement of all indicator lights is under a contract for all our elevator maintenance. We pay $2300 a month for elevator maintenance in this building. I made a note to call the maintenance company.

As I worked through my “to do” list, the phone rang; it was a satisfaction survey from the elevator maintenance company. I told him I wasn’t very satisfied since we have had continual on-going “simple” problems. The maintenance company has not carried out the basic maintenance procedures as required in the contract.

Within the hour, our elevator company representative, a young lady named Leslie, called. She wanted to bring her supervisor and have a sit-down meeting to discuss these problems. I told Leslie, “We don’t need a meeting, waste numerous man hours. All I ask is that the bulbs are replaced and all agreed to terms of the contract are adhered to.” Promises were made, assurances given; it wouldn’t happen again.

On my early rounds Monday, I noticed the indicator lights had not been changed. This was the third instance Monday morning when sub-contractors were not adhering to terms of their contract.

I called Leslie again except I wasn’t as nice as the first time. After that, supervisors called, vice presidents called, meetings were suggested, incentives offered. Much time was wasted, tempers and emotions frayed and all I want is the indicator lights changed! Please, just change the indicator lights, just do your job. Please, I’m a simple man with a simple request.

Spin doctoring and fluff and mush are a major part of our business world, our society and sadly, even our churches. If I bring a simple down to earth “tell it like it is” sermon, sometimes I feel it is not taken well but I am to preach the truth not conduct a popularity contest. As for me, I need my toes stepped on once in a while; I welcome it. I personally feel that it’s ok. A steady diet of “toe stepping” is not good either but we love “spiritual mush.”

Spiritual mush is rooted in an easy faith; all the blessings but no sacrifice. Jesus said, "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33


Let’s tell each other the truth. No spin doctors required. Let’s just do our jobs. No fluff, no excuses, no corporate gobbledygook no mushy psycho-babble.

Jesus said in Matthew 5:37, “Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.” And in James 5:12 it says: “Above all, my brothers, do not swear--not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. Let your "Yes" be yes, and your "No," no, or you will be condemned.”

Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jerry,
My name is Kevin Riley and I work with your son Andy in Las Vegas. He turned me on to your blog and I have been reading it now for a good month or two. It has been a true blessing to read. I cant agree with you more on the need to preach God's word without compromise. Ive been saved now going on 12 years and have been blessed to go to a church that teaches the scriptures verse by verse. This way you cant just pick one verse you like and leave out another you have a problem with. It's a shame you can go to some churches and not learn any biblical truths while you are there. It seems like they just want to entertain than speak the truth.... Your blog has been an encouragement to me and I appreciate the work you put into it. Ill check in later, thanks again, Kevin