Thursday, July 16, 2009

“Laid low in the dust”

Psalm 119:25 I am laid low in the dust; preserve my life according to your word.”

These days I am finding more and more “dust suckers” as it were. More and more people are losing their jobs or businesses and our expectations are not being met. We have lived through a time of “unrealistic expectations.” What happened in the past was that most of our “unrealistic expectations” were being met but for many the “expectations” of life are not being met today. Many of us today have lived as if God owes us something; He owes us nothing except His wrath. God in His mercy provided the sacrifice—Jesus, and God’s entire wrath destined for us (and fully deserved) fell on Jesus and not us. Therefore, we are “laid low in the dust” as it is.

If we are “laid low in the dust,” the Psalmist asks this “preserve my life according to your word.” God’s word preserves and God’s promises are kept. Look at some verses from Psalm 119; these could serve as a prayer outline for us in the days ahead.

v. 28 – "Strengthen us according to your word
v. 36 – “Turn my heart towards your statutes
v. 37 – “Turn my eyes away from worthless things
v. 50 – God’s promises preserve our life
v. 65 – Ask God to “do us good” – Notice the word servant
v. 67 – “Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word.”
v. 71 -- Affliction brings obedience
v. 74 -- Be an example. Put our hope in God’s word
v. 78 – “May the arrogant be put to shame for wronging me without cause; but I will meditate on your precepts.”
v. 83 – A wineskin in smoke shrinks and becomes wrinkly. Even though we grow old and wrinkly, may we not forget God’s decrees.
v. 92 – Delight in God’s Word; it preserves us.
v. 107 – Acknowledge suffering; ask God to preserve us according to His word.
v. 114 – God is our refuge and shield. Put hope in God’s word and His promises not the fleeting things of this world.
v. 116 – “Sustain me according to your promise, and I will live; do not let my hopes be dashed.”
v. 143 – Trouble and distress has come upon us but delight in God’s word.
v. 147 – “I rise before dawn and cry for help; I have put my hope in your word.” PRAY.
v. 153 – Ask God to deliver us; do not forget God’s promises.
v. 154 – May God defend our cause. ASK.
v. 165 – “Great peace have they who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble.”


In your current trials, remember this example of Jesus: “When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.” 1 Peter 2:23-25

Amen.

No comments: