Thursday, November 05, 2009

No Greater Love

“Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other”. ~ John 15:13-17

I was home sick with the flu when the phone rang and a familiar voice said, “I’m coming through your area tonight, could I stop and see you?” The familiar voice was the voice of my young Special Forces friend, Ross. I hadn’t heard his voice for quite a while. He was coming even if we had the flu!

We had a great two-hour plus visit. During his four plus years in the military, he saw three tours of duty in different war zones. He now works and attends college full time; he expects to receive his college degree in less than one year.

I asked Ross, “After being out of the military for three years, what is the bottom line lesson learned from your military experience?

He answered quickly and decisively, “Two things.” He said, “I learned what is the greatest love—we must be willing to lay down our life for our friends. Number two, anything worth pursing requires sacrifice.”

As we approach this Veterans Day, it is good to be reminded of these “old fashioned truths.” Old fashioned they may be but true--willingness to lay down ones life and being willing to live a sacrificial life for the benefit of others.

Yes, we ought to listen—in the world there are two kinds of people, those who talk and those who do. Let’s honor and respect those who have done!

Jesus did; He laid down his life for us and He asked us to do the same. May we lay down our lives and live a life of sacrifice to God’s glory.

To all who do this, may God bless you. And yes, to all you Veterans young and old, thank you again. Amen.

No comments: