Thursday, September 30, 2010

Prayers of Desperation

I don’t know where the idea came from that “prayers of desperation” are not “good form” for a believing Christian. One should not get that desperate; we should have our act together so prayers of desperation would not be needed. Tell that to…

• David --“This poor man called, and the LORD heard him; he saved him out of all his troubles.” Psalm 34:6

• Hannah--“In bitterness of soul Hannah wept much and prayed to the LORD.” 1 Samuel 1:10

• Jeremiah—“the waters closed over my head, and I thought I was about to be cut off I called on your name, O LORD, from the depths of the pit. You heard my plea: "Do not close your ears to my cry for relief." Lamentations 3:54-56

• Jesus—“And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.” Luke 22:44

• The Ten Lepers--"and called out in a loud voice, "Jesus, Master, have pity on us!" When he saw them, he said, "Go, show yourselves to the priests." And as they went, they were cleansed.” (Luke 17:13-14) The ten lepers had no other option to be healed; no antibiotics, no Mayo Clinic. Leprosy was a death sentence. They were desperate.

My favorite prayer of desperation was Jonah from the belly of the whale. Jonah 2:7-10 says, “"When my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, LORD, and my prayer rose to you, to your holy temple. "Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs. But I, with a song of thanksgiving, will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. Salvation comes from the LORD." And the LORD commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land.”

Jonah prayed, “When my life was ebbing away. I remembered the Lord.” In verse 8 it says this, “Those who cling to worthless idols (things of this life) forfeit the grace that could be theirs… Oh, how true. Verse 9…"salvation comes from the Lord.

Yes, in desperation, God answers. Are you desperate enough? Do you believe God really hears our prayers? He does. Forgive us O Lord.

James 5:13 says,  "Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise."

No comments: